NaNoWriMo Day #3 Developing a Character

Everything is hopping along quite nicely this year and I wrote over 2,000 words today. It's quite amazing to me, because I have absolutely nothing pre-planned. Not characters, not plot, literally nothing. I have never been much of a pantser, so this is all new to me.


Today, a character named Jubel entered the stage, a young black man who definitely has his own voice. But not enough of one, so I researched AAVE to sharpen that a bit. I don't like to use too many unusual words with my characters, especially foreign words, and African American Vernacular English should be treated and respected as its own language.

(Don't get me on my soapbox about fat, old, white politicians throwing the word "woke" around!)

Anyway, I decided it was worth getting informed about this language. Words Jubel will probably use regularly are a few of these:

  • Lit
  • Sis
  • Squad
  • Hood
  • Dig
  • Crib
And double negatives. I asked him about whether he'd use them. He said, "You're not wrong."

Well then. 

What Is AAVE & Why White People Shouldn't Use It Flippantly | YourTango

No comments:

Post a Comment

M eet Hank who is the main hero of this story. He is modeled after my nephew, Bruce, who actually does live in Illinois and has a sister nam...